Kaiba Corporation
Welcome to Kaiba Corp Duel Academy. This is where you can learn to duel like a pro with the guidance of Seto Kaiba himself.
Kaiba Corporation
Welcome to Kaiba Corp Duel Academy. This is where you can learn to duel like a pro with the guidance of Seto Kaiba himself.
Kaiba Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kaiba Corporation

Kaiba Corporation duel academy, learn from the best of the best

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What To Look For When Making A Deck

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
(kaiba Corp) King
Tester / Teacher
Tester / Teacher
(kaiba Corp) King

Duel Points : 775

What To Look For When Making A Deck Empty
PostSubject: What To Look For When Making A Deck   What To Look For When Making A Deck EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:09 am

In this lesson we will be going over things to look for when you are making a deck. This will include a few tips and pointers, and also the different aspects that make a good deck good.

Without further ado, lets get started.

Consistency
I thought we should go through this first since it is the most important part of a good deck. Consistency is looking at your hand when you draw, is it a good hand or a bad hand? What can I do with this hand? Can I recover from a bad hand? Will I run through my hand and have nothing left early on?

If your drawing all trap hands or hands filled with traps you should remove some traps from your deck, same with monsters and spells. Make sure that you have cards that do not rely too much on support and can work on there own.

Speed
This is again a very important part of decks. Speed is being able to do enough to at least keep up with the opponent. Decks like crystal beasts and lightsworns take a few turns to get going, which is why they are not seen to often in the competitive seen.

Decks like Dragon Rulers are extremely fast and can do lots in one turn, making them the best decks of this format. Make sure your deck can get moving on the first or second turn.

Power
Power is considered by many to not be very important in decks. Wrong, almost all decks have power of some sort. While some decks might not have powerful monsters directly in there deck, they can synchro, fusion, or xyz summon a powerful monster from there extra deck. Also, some decks like Fire Fists and Spellbooks can boost there monsters attack.

Keep 40 Cards
I cannot stress this enough. It annoys me every time I see someone who has over 40 cards in there deck. Having more than 40 cards makes it harder to draw your better cards. Each card over the 40 card minimum is a -1 to you. There is always something you can take out, so take it out.

But saying this, remember that these 40 cards have to be the best possible. The 40 best possible cards for your deck. This requires lots of play testing to find cards that are inconsistent.

That's it for today's lesson. For homework, try and find some of the best cards in archetypes and explain why they are so good.

I hope you consider these tips when building a deck.
Back to top Go down
SirIronEcho
SirIronEcho

Duel Points : 25

PostSubject: Re: What To Look For When Making A Deck   What To Look For When Making A Deck EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:30 am

King, No offense but i do not under any circumstances agree with what you said. "It annoys me when people have more then 40 cards in their deck " If you look up ANY of the decks *Other then Exodia* That made it the world finals last year, not a single person was running 40 cards. As a matter of fact, Every last one of the 8 people *again excluding exodia* was running 42. I think that part of your lesson is Bias and therefor should be made as a point that you personally don't like more then 40.
Not to be unfair. I do agree with what you said. It makes it a -1.

Over all I loved the lesson, Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Knightofwisdom
(kaiba Corp) King
Tester / Teacher
Tester / Teacher
(kaiba Corp) King

Duel Points : 775

PostSubject: Re: What To Look For When Making A Deck   What To Look For When Making A Deck EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 am

SirIronEcho wrote:
King, No offense but i do not under any circumstances agree with what you said. "It annoys me when people have more then 40 cards in their deck " If you look up ANY of the decks *Other then Exodia* That made it the world finals last year, not a single person was running 40 cards. As a matter of fact, Every last one of the 8 people *again excluding exodia* was running 42. I think that part of your lesson is Bias and therefor should be made as a point that you personally don't like more then 40.
Not to be unfair. I do agree with what you said. It makes it a -1.

Over all I loved the lesson, Keep up the good work.

I understand what your saying, but that was last year. This year at WCQ, almost every competitor uses 40 cards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What To Look For When Making A Deck   What To Look For When Making A Deck Empty

Back to top Go down
Subject: Re:

What To Look For When Making A Deck

Affiliation